Thursday, January 2, 2014

Pain after joint surgery

I had spinal fusion done a few months ago. Now whenever I stand or walk, I get severe pains, which I never had. Is this just the recovery period?

No, it means the surgeon has botched the procedure. Having pain months after surgery is not part of recovery. Have you have any type of imaging study done after the procedure? I would recommend you see a neurologist and determine where the pain is coming from. Keep all your records and maintain a log of what has happened. 


You may need an EMG study to see if the surgeon has caused injury to a nerve. If this is the case, go and see a malpractice lawyer. Other than taking pain meds, I am not sure what else you can do. Just another reason why back surgery should be avoided, unless it is life threatening.